- The Andy Cohen Diaries by Andy Cohen ~ Not sure what this means, but this book totally hit the spot for me.
- If It’s Not One Thing, It’s Your Mother by Julia Sweeney ~ A delight from start to finish. I laughed & laughed.
- The Deadly Sister by Eliot Schrefer ~ His other books definitely have their dark streaks running through them, but this one was a bit too grim for me. I did not feel like reading about teens murdering teens over the Christmas holidays.
- There will never be enough Latin choral music in the world to satisfy me in December.
- I also really loved seeing these guys play.
- Edge of Tomorrow ~ Which is now apparently called Live Die Repeat? I don’t know. All I know is that it was Tom Cruise at his Tom Cruisiest, which I really just like and I can’t help it, and Emily Blunt, as usual, can do anything.
- The Skeleton Twins ~ Funny/sad. Kind of uneven but the lip synch scene lived up to the hype and it was nice to see what Bill Hader can do in a dramatic role. I really liked it.
- The Comeback ~ I laughed and cried so hard during the finale. I swear. This is the truth and so is this.
- Getting On ~ Honestly – I love this show. The Carrie Preston episode made me cry & the finale was utterly perfect.
- Latest faves – The Lennon Parham & Jessica St. Clair episodes of the J.V. Club with Janet Varney and the Dana Carvey episode of You Made It Weird were my faves this month. I had no idea Janet Varney is the same person who plays Jimmy’s ex-fiancee on You’re the Worst until I looked her up later. I also fully wept during Jenny Slate’s interview on WTF. It took me by surprise when driving my car. Those are my favorite podcast moments, honestly.
Favorite things on Internet:
- This adorable child & his reviews of Broadway shows. “Wave your hands for Hedwig.”
- This video celebrating the renewal of Playing House, which, quite frankly, is basically the only thing I really wanted for Christmas.
- These letters made me weepy and made me miss New York and a place I’ve never even been.
- The trailer for The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.
- This tweet, the Great ‘Parks & Rec’ Clip War of 2014, this ode to Transparent, this interview with Blunt & Corden, and Longreads Best of 2014.
Best Food Eaten:
This sandwich was mighty fine …
… but my favorite food was giant piled up plate of favorites prepared by my mother on Christmas Day and eaten surrounded by the whole gang in town for the holidays.
Pets Still Alive:
Both. So old, so crazy.
Bullets Being Bitten:
I flew to once again the midwest. What will come from these journeys I do not know. Come January, I will know more.
Flowers, Trees, and Plants:
Bees buzz everywhere on some of the few remaining flowering shrubs not recently mowed down at work. I try to park next to them whenever I can so I can lose myself a little in them before heading into the building.
And I love my Christmas cactus very much.
December walks are no joke. There are suns setting and birds flying and red berries sparkling and you think about what you’ve lost & found in the year you’re leaving behind.
I don’t know who first sang this song, but I know I listened to the Indigo Girls sing it about a million times this December and it was everything.
My soul was lost, but here I am,
So this must be amazing grace.
One tiny child can change the world,
One shining light can show the way.
Beyond these tears for what I’ve lost,
There’s still my joy,
There’s still my joy for Christmas day.