- The major development around here is that I adopted a baby born in January who is perfect in every way. This has turned life upside down, obviously, but in the best way. This post will cover the past few months as a whole.
- I haven’t read a real book since 2014 unless it’s about babies and how to keep them alive. Will I read a novel in 2015? Time will tell. What should it be?
- Brandi Carlile’s new album is the most exciting new music for me. Eternal love!
- I’m also super excited about The Weepies — comes out next month. When I learned Deb Talan had breast cancer … damn. But it sounds like she is doing well and this album will touch on that experience. I think it will be awesome.
- Meanwhile, I am already predicting that I will listen to no music more in 2015 than the music of Empire. This is a very enjoyable post ranking the show’s songs, and I agree with the verdict that “You’re So Beautiful”, in its various versions, is the best. The White Party version? Are you kidding? And the version at the bar where everyone sings it together? Endorphins. I think my runner-up is “Conqueror,” just because I loved that scene so much because it’s just Jamal being Jamal, joyfully creating music and being free.
- The Last Five Years ~ Melissa first told me about this musical in 2003 when I was going through a rather savage break-up. It was love at first listen, and I’ve never stopped loving it. This is kind of a weird movie, but then it’s kind of a weird musical. It sure does make New York look beautiful. Anna Kendrick is predictably good. But Jeremy Jordan is G R E A T. There is no voice in theater that can touch Norbert Leo Butz’s for me … maybe Brian Darcy James’ comes close … but Jordan’s voice is no joke. And he does a fine job of making a character who behaves (spoiler!) badly likable anyway. Ugh. EFFING JAMIE. Anyway – Jeremy Jordan is a star. A star! Even though I can’t hear his name without remembering Donna Martin saying “Jeremy Jordan, all right!” in that 90210 ad from the days of yore.
- Neighbors ~ Hilarious. Rose Byrne stole the movie, and that’s what I liked best about it. I love Rose Byrne! Let’s go watch her as Rose in I Capture the Castle again. She was the perfect Rose. She can do anything, I think.
- Obvious Child ~ Very, very, very good.
- The Duff ~ Mae Whitman, as ever, can do no wrong, and the guy in the movie was VERY cute and good. A fun birthday outing with girlfriends.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt ~ Singlehandedly saved the day the baby got first shots … this poor child just wanted to sleep while being held, and rocking while watching this and giggling hard and trying not to wake the baby up was a day I will remember fondly (shot sorrow notwithstanding).
- Felicity ~ On a dark, dark day a few weeks into motherhood, I decided I wanted to watch this but couldn’t face going into the messy hall closet to get the DVDs of each season, which I own. And I couldn’t find it streaming anywhere and wept in defeat. Wept like a crazy person. Then I found it on Hulu Plus and all was right again. This, along with A Different World, have made Hulu Plus worth its weight in gold to me. They are like comfort food.
- Empire ~ This is my new obsession. I thought it would be a guilty pleasure, but then I just end up falling in love with everything about it. Especially Jamal. JAMAL! I spend a lot of time thinking about Jamal. But really — everyone is so good. And the music, as mentioned, is beyond. And noticing Taraji P. Henson as an R.A. in season 1 of Felicity made me laugh and laugh. She is amazing and I can’t remember when I loved a TV character more than Cookie Lyon.
- I discovered Totally Mommy in my nonstop searches for podcasts featuring Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham and just decided to go back and listen to them all. I’m making my way through them as the age of their baby then matches up with the age of my baby now, usually as we’re strolling the neighborhood for hours on end, and it’s been really valuable both entertainment and info-wise. I really love it. It is a lifeline and a light. Thank you, Elizabeth Laime, Andy, and all of the wonderful guests.
Favorite things on Internet:
- I am very, very, very excited about all things Hamilton. Just knowing it’s out there makes me happy. As did this tweet.
Best Food Eaten:
Snacks for dinner when my beloved friend from First Descents came to visit.
Pets Still Alive:
Both. My friend Kristen took this photo of Marley, who continues to barf her way through life. Zuko, who hates sirens and alarms, heard about two seconds of crying and decided he wants nothing to do with any baby, any time, anywhere. I think if he’s still alive (15!) when the baby starts dropping food he might change his tune but for how he’s dunzo with us all.
Sipping and Seeing:
Dear friends hosted the loveliest sip and see for the baby … it will always be one of my favorite memories of my earliest days as a mom.
Flowers, Trees, and Plants:
My favorite maternity leave activity has been our walks around the neighborhood. Spring is here, and it is wondrous. The Bob stroller is the greatest investment I’ve made as a mother, and when it gets too hot to walk with the baby, all may be dross. But we’re really loving it for now. I will forever be thankful that my maternity leave fell during spring.
This photo does it no justice, but I am thrilled to have been given the very first in a series of prints by my sweet friend Madeline, whose creativity and kindness know no bounds. I love it so much, and it is hanging happily in the baby’s room. It is a treasure.