- You’re Not Doing It Right by Michael Ian Black ~ I liked it. Funny, which was not a surprise, but also sweet and moving at times, which was a surprise, and there’s a passage about marriage and the passage of time at the end of the book that was one of the most romantic things I’ve read in a while.
- Everything Is Going to Be Great by Rachel Shukert ~ I think I’ve aged out of the backpacker memoir, but I liked her voice enough that I’m excited to read her new YA novel.
- Carry the One by Carol Anshaw ~ A little too grim for me. I’ve decided I’m not reading any more grim books for the rest of the year.
- Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham ~ I love her but I couldn’t get through this.
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer ~ This started off strong, and I wanted to love it because CAMP, but I lost interest.
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell ~ FINALLY. This is the first book I’ve truly loved this year since Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. I loved it A LOT. I can’t even deal with it. Neither can John Green, who wrote a lovely post (and review) about it. IT IS SPECIAL.
- So You Think You Can Dance is back, and I am not made of stone.
- Audra McDonald & Seth Rudetsky put on a wonderful show. I am so glad I have finally seen her live after all these years. Everything about her oozes talent and delight from her head to her toes. She was funny and amazing. She sang “Stars and the Moon” by Jason Robert Brown and “Over the Rainbow.” She did a song called “I’ll Be Here” by Adam Gwon that caused audible weeping throughout the audience. I will never forget it. She is a gift to the world.
- Meanwhile, the only other movie I care about is Before Midnight, and I have no idea when it will be out here, and my heart is already very tender about the whole thing.
Favorite things on Internet:
- Humans of New York ~ How I lived this long without knowing about this site is beyond me. It is just one of the best things I’ve ever seen, anywhere.
- A lovely goodbye to The Office.
- Interesting interview with Josh Malina, who will always be Jeremy to me. (“I told many, many people.”)
Ran away to Jazz Fest. This happened. But the crawfish monica, the daiquiries, the Gospel tent, and the old friend made it all worthwhile.
Best Food Eaten:
Oysters Irene with a dear friend:
I listened to “Out on the Town” by Fun five hundred thousand times this month. I don’t even know why. It just does something to me and I cannot wait to see them with my brother and Tegan and Sara in September.
Pets Still Alive:
Both. The cat is lazy and basically just lies around being lazy every minute of her life. And this fool is so crazy and shedding like bananas but he makes me happy.
Flowers, Trees, & Plants: